Cleaning Insurance: What You Need To Know


Whether you’re a self-employed cleaner or you run a cleaning business that employs multiple staff, it goes without saying that your clients will have large expectations. They expect a high level of service, expertise, care and security. Regardless of how big your company currently is, it’s important to arrange for the right level of cover, on the off-chance that something goes wrong. Here’s what you need to know about cleaning insurance London, and the questions you need to ask before deciding on a policy:

What type of cleaner are you?

If your business is tailored towards a particular industry, the type of insurance you need could vary. For example, if you exclusively clean offices you should strongly consider a public liability insurance policy. All cleaners should really have public liability insurance in place, but it’s worth remembering that offices in particular are usually full of expensive equipment (computers, servers, printers, desks, fixtures and fittings). Causing accidental damage during the course of your duty could leave your business at risk.

Likewise, domestic cleaners will want to protect themselves in the event of damaging the personal property of a client – again, public liability insurance is strongly recommended. This type of policy will also protect your business in the event of a client becoming injured as a result of negligence (slipping on a wet kitchen floor because you or a team member failed to put the correct signage out, for example).

Do you use any industry-specific tools?

If your cleaning firm is industry-specific, or you concentrate on one particular facet of cleaning (such as carpet cleaning, floor cleaning/buffing or curtain cleaning), chances are that you’ll own a lot of specific tools and equipment in order to get the job done. Many of these heavy-duty tools are costly to maintain and replace. To keep your business up and running, you might want to consider including business equipment insurance within your policy. This will protect you in the event of theft or damage to your equipment.

If you operate from commercial premises (even if it’s simply a base to store your tools with an office to contact clients) you might even want to consider insurance. This will protect your premises and contents (depending on the level of cover you opt for).

Do you employ any staff?

If you have any employees – even part-time or temporary ones – you are required by law to have employers’ liability insurance in place. This type of policy is designed to cover any claims from employees who have become ill or injured during their tenure of employment under you. While other policies are optional (but strongly advised), if you fail to have employers’ liability insurance in place while employing staff you could potentially face a hefty fine.

How to arrange cleaning insurance

If you’d like more information on how to arrange an affordable combined insurance policy tailored specifically to the requirements of your cleaning business, why not get in touch with Polished Insurance today? As suppliers of specialist policies for sole traders and businesses within the cleaning industry, Polished Insurance understands the pressures of the job, and the coverage needed to give you complete peace of mind.